Friday, May 27, 2011

Catharine and Cottages

I did my part to represent America today when I tried to get into the wrong side of the cab [twice], and then marveled aloud to the driver about the speed limit being 80.  The driver (Catherine) was lovely, and gave a running commentary of the towns and landscape we passed.  I think she got a kick out of my pathetic wincing and cringing every time we would blow past an oncoming car on a winding cliff face overlooking jagged limestone with about an inch of room to spare.  That being said, this place looks like the lord of the GD rings.  Seriously, it is all lush, rolling hills with craggy rocks poking out, and the plots of land are divided by hand-stacked slabs of stone piled into low walls.  And hedgerows!  There are actual hedgerows!  I know that hedgerows exist everywhere, not just here, but just try saying hedgerow with an Irish accent.  It sounds way cooler.  Hedgerow....   Hedgerow............
What?  Right.  The house I'm living in is bomb as hell.  It is a cozy cottage down a country road with blonde wood and double-door windows and stone chimneys.  It is so scenic that my head may explode.  I am currently sitting in the sun room (more aptly named the howling wind and foggy drizzle room), wearing a wool sweater, drinking whiskey, smoking a pipe, and brooding.  That is a lie.  Except for the sun room. And the weather.  But I feel like I should be doing that, because that is what this place is like.  I want to take a billion pictures of all this stuff and post them, but I left my camera cord (along with a large portion of my brain, apparently) at home.  During the unpacking process, my new roommate commented that I was "so organized," and I think I may have hurt her feelings by laughing uncontrollably.  But she seems cool, and is from Canada.  She also observes the Shabbat, which is super interesting, and means that all day Saturday she can't cook or shop, or turn lights on or off.  So preparations happen tonight, like making food for tomorrow, and taping the refrigerator light switch down, which I think is v. clever.  
I'm cross-eyed.  I'm going to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment